What Is Kale? A Guide on Kale Nutrition and Its Benefits
Although I’m a big fan of all herbs, kale is a (king) super-food on my kitchen list for good reason.
It is a rich source of antioxidant, minerals, fiber, and packed with phytonutrients and low in calories, which is improve blood glucose control in diabetes, reduce blood pressure and also support healthy skin, hair, and bones.
Kale Nutrition facts Infographic
1 cup, chopped (67 g) Kale, raw contains:
Calorie in Kale
33.5(140 kJ), Calories
- 24.2(101 kJ) From Carbohydrate
- 3.9(16.3 kJ) From Fat
- 5.4(22.6 kJ) From Protein
- 0.0(0.0 kJ) From Alcohol
Protein & Amino Acids
2.2 g, Protein
Carbohydrates in Kale
6.7 g, Carbohydrate
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Starch ~
- Sugars ~
Fats & Fatty Acids
Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
- Total Omega-3 fatty acids 121 mg
- Total Omega-6 fatty acids 92.4 mg
Vitamins in Kale
- 10302 IU Vitamin A
- 80.4 mg Vitamin C
- 547 mcg Vitamin K
- 0.1 mg Thiamin
- 0.2 mg Vitamin B6
- 19.4 mcg Folate
- 0.1 mg Riboflavin
- 0.7 mg Niacin
- 0.0 mcg Vitamin B12
- 0.1 mg Pantothenic Acid
Minerals in Kale
- 90.5 mg Calcium
- 1.1 mg Iron
- 22.8 mg Magnesium
- 37.5 mg Phosphorus
- 299 mg Potassium
- 28.8 mg Sodium
- 0.5 mg Manganese
- 0.6 mcg Selenium
- 0.3 mg Zinc
- 0.2 mg Copper
- Alcohol 0.0 g
- Water 56.5 g
- Ash 1.0 g
This is the nutrition facts label for Kale with a total of 33 calories, 6 grams of carbs and 3.3 grams of protein.
10 Health Benefits of Kale
- Kale reduce the risk of heart disease
- Prevent Heart disease
- Kale is a rich source of antioxidants.
- Kale help in weight-loss
- Prevent Cancer-Fighting Substances
- Kale keep up cardiovascular health.
- Protect the Eyes
- Kale for Bone health
- Kale Support Healthy skin and hair
- Improve your Digestion System
1. Prevent Heart disease
Kale contains lots of of vitamin and minerals like vitamins K and their form like K in kale is K1, which is separate from vitamin K2. K2 improve heart disease and osteoporosis because it’s found in fermented soy nutritious substance and certain animal substance. According to the collective data report :
- 1 cup of chopped raw kale contains 79 mg of potassium mineral.
- 1 cup of maked kale contains 296 mg of potassium mineral.
2. Kale is a rich source of antioxidants
Kale is a superfood on the planet because it is found a rich source of antioxidants known as alpha-lipoic acid and fiber, which is protection against diabetes, type-2 diabetes and also improved blood sugar.
- In 1 cup of chopped kale(16g) contains 0.6 g of fiber.
- And in 1 cup of fried kale (130 g) contains 2.6 g of fiber.
3. Kale help in weight-loss
Kale has lots of key nutrition with low calorie, high water content and less energy density for the reason this makes it a weight loss friendly vegetable. We discuss in the previous blog about faster way to weight loss tips and best exercises .
4. Kale reduce the risk of heart disease
According to the Researcher studies, that join kale to your regular basis foods can increase your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) or “good” cholesterol and decrease LDL (low-density lipoprotein) or “bad” cholesterol.
5. Prevent Cancer-Fighting Substances
Kale has been contain sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol compounds which is fighting against cancer cells.
6. Kale keep up cardiovascular health
Kale has a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, which is avoided blocked artery circulatory system.
How to cook and consume Kale?
There are many types of cooking kale include:
- Boiling kale
- Braising kale
- Microwaving kale
- Stir-frying kale
- Steaming kale.
Kale can also be eat raw but the raw form may be difficult to chew. So you can change the texture of kale in these ways:
- Kale Salad: This is one of the best and quickest way to consume kale because it don’t take to time to prepare kale salad. Take around 1 – 1½ pounds kale leaves and placing it into a pot of boiling water for 60 sec. Take out the leaves and put into a bowl filled with ice water to quickly stop the cooking and drizzle with cooking oil; massage the leaves for 1-2 minutes. And now Kale Salad is ready for eat.
- Sautéed Kale : Sautéed Kale is another of the simplest, quickest methods to cook kale and enjoy it. Take 2-3 1/2 tablespoons of kitchen oil in a frypan on medium-high heat. And then mix 2-3 cloves of (cut into small pieces) garlic and stir the mixer until softened. Take ½ cup water and 1 – 1½ pounds kale . Leave it and cover the pan until kale is cooked and at desired form.
Other ways to cook and consume Kale
- Kale Pesto
- Kale Chips
- Bean and Kale herb
- Kale with crusty Onions
Is it good to eat kale everyday?
kale is one of the healthiest food on the planet. Kale is lightweight food and it can be consumed daily bases.
Is kale beneficial for skin and hair?
Yes, kale is beneficial for skin and hair because it's a great source of beta-carotene and vitamin A, which is essential for the health of the skin.
Can we consume kale during pregnancy?
Yes, kale is a excellent choice for pregnant women because it's packed with nutrients.